INNOVATION PLAN UPDATE & REFLECTION

Whew. Thinking back on all the work I have done on my innovation project I am overwhelmed with immense pride. Am I proud because it is done? No, I am nowhere close to being done. Am I proud because it was easy to do? Ha, this took several hours of work and reworking. I am proud because I set some pretty big goals and after all my hard work and grit, I am well on my way to achieving them. ​
Click to view my innovation plan.
My disruptive innovation plan revolves around implementing makerspaces in the libraries across my district and it started with a proposal letter to all campus principals and a call to action video to bait them into buying what I was selling. I also began with my first of three literature reviews over makerspaces and an implementation outline that changed and evolved consistently. 
My innovation plan started to become a real tangible thing for me when I created my "big hairy audacious goal". It was helpful to take my scattered thoughts and roll them up into the overall goal to equip my colleagues with the tools to create an active, engaging maker environment for our students district-wide. 
3columntable.png
understandingbydesign_edited.png
With my BHAG in mind, I moved on to designing course plans for how I was going to equip my fellow colleagues in my district with the skills and mindset they would need to implement their own makerspaces in their school library. I did this by using Wiggins & McTighe's Understanding by Design and Fink's 3 Column Table which are both considered "backward design" planning, where you start with your end goals first and then work backward. Completing both of these designs provided clarity on what I wanted my learners to walk away with, but of the two Fink's 3 Column Table was definitely worked the best for me while Wiggins & McTighe's Understanding by Design didn't. 
Both of those backward designs were helpful when it was time to design my Makerspace Professional Learning plan. Taking the time to plan out each piece of my professional development and gather or create the resources that I would use during my professional development helped me feel extremely prepared. It also allowed me to tie all the pieces I had done for my disruptive innovation project together. What I did the best was organizing my PL schedule and resources into a spreadsheet for my professional learning (PL) plan.
Currently, I am still in the process of implementing my professional learning plan. I have met with all my colleagues from the other campuses and we are working together to turn their libraries into makerspaces. I thought that the process would be faster or easier than it is turning out to be. Not everyone has the same support as I did from administration, so it is a working progress. As you can tell from my PL spreadsheet, I thought by now all campuses would have all the materials they needed to start makerspaces this Fall, but money is not the same at all campuses so we are starting smaller. 
I am planning on promoting this disruptive innovation plan by sharing out the online course I created using the LMS, Schoology as well as keep this portfolio and my blog active with updates. 
This innovation project was my first and I learned a lot of valuable lessons that I would apply to any future innovation projects. Taking the time to research the topic thoroughly and writing Literature Reviews is key to backing up your ideas with solid facts that can be used to defend your project. Planning is also critical in the success of any project, with detailed outlines to keep you on track. I have also learned that discovering what your goal is first and then working towards it helps keep you focused.

Follow me

© 2023 by Diana Teel.
Proudly created with
Wix.com
 

Call

T: 936-435-6505

  • Facebook Clean
  • Twitter Clean
  • White Google+ Icon